Sunday 30 September 2012

Babies Babies Babies .......ABC Fabric Blocks




My close friend had her first baby in January.
When I found out, I set to to hand craft a unique toy for her little one.
This is what I created.





Initially I cut out the squares.  

6 squares for each cube approximately 12cms each.

 
Then I cut out numbers and letters in contrasting fabrics.
  I typed up the letters on Microsoft Word and printed them off, for a template. 



I cut out numbers and letters in contrasting fabrics.  I typed up the letters on Microsoft Word and printed them off, for a template.

I used DMC threads to blanket stitch the letters and numbers onto the squares.


I pinned the 4 sides together.  To sew together, I allowed about 1cm seam allowance.  I used stronger fabrics like denims and thick cottons, to ensure the blocks won't fray.   I used a few pieces of ribbons to stitch into the seams to allow the baby something smaller to grab onto.

Firstly sew the 4 sides together with the right sides of the fabric together.  Once this is done, you can attach the bottom by sewing the bottom to the bases of the 4 sides   I then sewed the top square onto 2 sides of the cube. 

Once this was done, I used polyester filling to stuff the cubes.  I placed a small bell inside one of the cubes too.  

Finally I hand stitched the final two sides of the top square onto the cubes.















Personally I would prefer these in paler colours, but I knew my friend would prefer brighter tones.

No comments:

Post a Comment